Measure Your Head
When it comes to finding the right hat, size matters. Properly measuring your head size will determine your hat size and help you get the perfect fit. The best hat will not only look good, but it will feel good. Before you buy your hat, make sure to measure your head and look at our size chart.
How to Measure Your Head
To measure your head size, all you need is either a measuring tape.
- Wrap the tape measure around the largest part of your head until the two ends meet at the center of your forehead just above your eyebrows. Firmly hold the tape mid-forehead with your finger, not too tightly or too loose.
- The goal is to determine precisely where your hat will sit for the most comfortable fit. Take note of the measurement from your measuring tape and use it to find your corresponding size on our hat sizing chart.
- If your measurement is in between sizes on the hat size chart, choose the next larger size.
- Even though our hat sizes are standard across the USA, there are various factors that can affect the fit of the hat, from the hat’s material to how much hair you have. This is all the more reason to go a size up – a slightly roomier hat is much more comfortable and easier to pad than a hat that’s too tight and gives you a headache.
- Don’t worry if you have a big head. We have large hats to help provide the perfect size for you from XXL to XXXL (many of our men’s hats come in XL already).
The Difference Between Men’s and Women’s Hats
- Men’s hats are generally sized numerically or alphabetically, although there are some men’s hats that come in one size fits most. These “one size” hats fit heads with a circumference of 21½” to 23” (medium to large).
- Women’s hat sizing is often one size fits most: the style is made in a standard size with the ability to suit head sizes ranging from 21½” to 22¼” in circumference. While actual hat sizes may vary, many of these “one size” women’s hats come with an inner drawstring or band that can be adjusted to keep the hat in place.
Hat Alteration Options
- Most “one size” hats for men and women come with an inner drawstring that allows you to adjust the fit. These inner drawstrings are usually found stitched into the sweatband itself with an extended piece of string or ribbon that you can tug. Pull gently to adjust the fit, which can tighten the hat up to two sizes.
- Many hats without inner drawstrings feature bands made of leather, elastic, or foam lining. If this is the case, you can still adjust the fit of the hat with sizing tape. This is the preferred method of adjusting hats because it maintains the shape of the sweatband and inner lining without any damage.
Hand Wash Only
Men’s outback hat – Be the explorer you’ve always wanted to be, and let the world be your canvas with this cap. The shapeable 3 brim and faux leather sweatband provide the look and comfort you need in sun, shade, and more.
Garment washed twill – These medium brim Aussie style slouch hats are made from 100% garment-washed twill for comfort and breathability whether you’re in a canoe, a costume, or another adventure.
Dorfman quality – Dorfman Pacific Co hats are known for their quality and reliability, and this headwear garment is no exception. Wear your duster for work, play, or when the pioneer in you speaks out.
UV protection – Shield your eyes from the sun like no fedora can. This twill outback is UPF 50+ tested and proven to protect against harmful UV rays, ensuring you get the UV protection you need.
Find your fit – Get the outback hat you want in the size you need. Know your head size and look at our size chart to make sure the perfect hat is a perfect fit. Walk tall with your Dorfman.